My physics training has always deprived me of a certain level of enjoyment from the science fiction genre. As much as I have tried, I could almost never get into anything serious with “time travel” or “parallel Universes” in it. To me time traveling is a lazy writer’s excuse to avoid creating a real plot. And I’m too much of a Copenhagen interpretation guy to accept parallel Universes. Just can’t do it.
That is why I was so surprised by my utter admiration for and attraction to the TV Series Fringe, which has copious uses for BOTH time travel AND parallel Universes. Okay, Season 5 kinda let me down but still it was an enjoyable ride throughout. Was it as epic as the re-imaged Battlestar Galactica? Probably not. But it did deal with the total annihilation of not just one but two humanities. Was it as romantic as the X-Files? Probably not. But there were more love stories in this series than just what’s between Mulder and Scully.
Overall I will make the rare recommendation for Fringe and put it as the only member in the list of movies and TV series that I enjoy watching with both time travel and parallel Universes in its plot lines.
Not quite the Chicken or the Egg
But no ordinary trivia
Choose one or the other
More like the Princess or the Faery
To whom you shall marry
This is no paradox
Enigma or conundrum
Because the answer is clearly
Yes, I have been inactive in my blog for a while now. But it was not entirely unexpected. I mean I did warn you in my one of my previous posts 133 days ago that Diablo III might just come and sweep me away. And that it did. And then some! During my journey to dark places such as Fields of Misery, Dahlgur Oasis, Stonefort, and Silver Spire, a lot of things have apparently transpired in the so-called real world. Something about a big international sports event that happens only once every four years even the Queen attended. Also something about a fat Korean dude dancing on YouTube. And last but not least, Obama lost the re-election. Or did he? But then again, who cares? Because they killed Deckard Cain, man! It’s Deckard Caaaaaaaaaain, man! I’m still mourning for the guy. Rest in peace, Cain the Elder. You have surely rocked my world!
But seriously, I do so hope to slowly come back to reality and start blogging regularly as soon as possible. I mean my Witch Doctor Jademan Wong has only about another 76 paragon levels to go. No big deal, y’all! #InnerPeace
Tonight I suddenly caught the Saturday Night Live fever and went to the Internet to rewatch many of my favorite SNL moments. I’ve watched the show on and off for many years and have always admired the extremely talented comic cast like Steve Martin, Mike Meyers, Dana Carvey, Chris Farley, Phil Hartman, Chris Rock, Norm MacDonald, Adam Sandler, Maya Rudolph, Will Farrell, Andy Samberg, Tina Fey, Tracey Morgan, Fred Armisen, Amy Poehler, etc., etc., etc. Below are some of my favorite favorite skits. Enjoy!
- Dear Sister – My all time favorite, bar none. So brilliant. So… perfect!
- Reliable Investments – You need to jump out of a window if you don’t think this is funny
- Wayne’s World with Madonna – The best Wayne’s World skit ever! Excellent!
- Dick in a Box – Do you dare open that box? (Clean version here)
- Celebrity Jeopardy – The best celebrity Jeopardy skit ever! Love Darrell Hammond’s Sean Connery!
- Fuquay Satins Champagne – Have you got ten dollars? LOL!
- British Movie – “But what if you’re WRONG!?” LOL!
- Iran So Far – “My mind says no but my body says yes!”
- United Way – “Spend time with your kids so Peyton Manny doesn’t”
- I’m on a Boat – “I got a nautical themed Pashmina Afghan!”
- Obama Plays it Cool – How many Presidents are this cool!?
- Like a Boss – So relevant since I just recently became a manager… again
- Valtrex – Trust your doctor and don’t get all caught up in the logic, woman!
- Lazy Sunday – The one that started it all…
- Opera Man 1 and 2 – Adam Sandler is brilliant!
- Robert De Niro – It’s so funny that Jimmy Fallon could never hold his laughs
- Mark Wahlberg Talks to Animals – “Say hi to your mother for me, alright?”
- Inside the Actors Studio – Will Ferrell is so awesome!
- Vinny Talks to John Malkovich – Everything sounds funnier in Italian!
I wish my job was to come up with clever sayings like this one. Kind of like that guy in the movie 500 Days of Summer, except he hated the job. But I would love it.
Anyways, gotta give the guys over at Despair, Inc. a big plug. I do very much enjoy their stuff! 🙂
- “Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.” — Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
- “It’s good enough for the blind!” — Cyd Sherman aka Codex, The Guild
- “You’re acting like a first-year fucking thief. I’m acting like a professional!” — Mr. Pink, Reservoir Dogs
- “Bazinga!” — Dr Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory
- “I don’t expect you to understand this. And I am loathe to admit it myself. But the writer IS necessary. ALL my crew is necessary. Do you understand?” — F. W. Murnau, Shadow of the Vampire
- “Damn it, Chloe!” — My personal hero Jack Bauer, 24
- “To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the Devil his due.” — Hob Gadling, The Sandman
- “Trust me. I know what I’m doing.” — Inspector Sledge Hammer, Sledge Hammer!
- “And these… are not the hammer.” — Captain Hammer, Doctor Horrible’s Sing-Along-Blog
- “There’s two types of people that get on television: good looking people and friggin’ mutants. And you my friend are friggin’ mutants. Embrace that!” — Bobby Lee, Ktwon Cowboys
Here’s a few songs that suit me at different times. Hope you enjoy them. I will keep updating this list from time to time. Here is the playlist for your convenience.
When I feel the need for beats…
- We Will Rock You by Queen — (Boom, boom, pop, rest. Boom, boom, pop, rest!)
- Drug Ballad by Eminem — (Back when Mark Wahlberg was Marky Mark!)
- Billie Jean by Michael — (But the keeeeeed is not my son!)
When I feel the need for speed…
- We are the Champions by Queen — (We’ll keep on fighting ’til to end!!)
- 浮誇 by 陳奕迅/Eason Chan — (在世間平凡又普通的路太多 屋村你住哪一座?)
- Through the Fire and Flames by Dragonforce — (How can such meaningless lyrics feel so meaningful?)
When I feel like partying…
- Rock N Roll All Nite by KISS — (You drive us wild; we’ll drive you crazy!)
- Don’t Stop Me Now by Queen — (Like an atom bomb about to oh oh oh oh oh explode!)
- Dancing Queen by ABBA — (You can dance. You can jive.)
When I want to calm down and just chill…
- Solo Acoustic Medley by Pat Metheny — Pure magic! No words can express the emotions better.
- Letter from Home by Pat Metheny Group
When I feel lonely…
- Somebody to Love by Queen — (Somebody. SOMEbody. Can anybody find MEEEEEEEE?)
- 傻女 by 陳慧嫻/Priscilla Chan — (這夜我又再獨對夜半無人的空氣)
When I feel melancholy…
- One Year of Love by Queen — (I’m falling apart all around you. And all I can do is surrender.)
- Joining You by Alanis Morissette — (You were uncomfortable in your own skin… But mostly you were beautiful.)
- Love of My Life by Queen — (Bring it back. Bring it back. Don’t take it away from me.)
- The Winner Takes It All by ABBA — (The loser standing small…)
- Old Man by Neil Young — (Old man, look at my life. I’m a lot like you were.)
- 生命的插曲 by 張學友/Jacky Cheung — (從開始已結束)
When I get pissed off
- Amityville by Eminem — (That’s the mentality here! That’s the reality here! Did I just hear somebody say they wanna challenge me here?)
- You Oughta Know by Alanis Morissette — (And every time I scratch my nails down someone else’s back, I hope you feel it.)
When I reminisce about UCLA
- Linger by The Cranberries — (Do you have to let it linger?)
- Istanbul by They Might be Giants — (Try not to laugh! 😀 I dare you!)
- Empty by The Cranberries — (Something has left my life and I don’t know where it went.)
When I think about physics…
- Particle Man by They Might be Giants — (When he gets under water, does he get wet?)
- History of Everything by The Barenaked Ladies — (It all started with the big bang!)
When I feel young and hopeful…
- No Pressure Over Cappuccino — (And you sample concepts like hors d’oeuvres)
- Under My Bed by Meiko — (Here I am. With my heart on the floor. And my love out the door.)
- 好きさ by 安全地帯/Anzenchitai (きりがない 甘い接吻を)
- Dreaming my Dreams by The Cranberries (It’s out there…)
Here is the playlist again for your convenience.
Anybody can emulate great things. But only true geniuses can take something great and make it even greater! Take for example the Special Theory of Relativity. How special is that theory, you may ask? I’m talking about space time continuum, man! Time appears to slooooooooooow down when the starship approaches warp one, not to mention the shrinkage! The shrinkaaaaaaaaaaage? How can you top that!? Well? General Theory of Relativity, y’all, that’s how. Check it out. Gravity is just the curvature of a 4-dimensional space time manifold. That’s all. That’s not evolutionary. That’s not even revolutionary. That’s revolutionary on top of something that’s already revolutionary. Revoltionary squared? 🙂 That my friends is THE greatest sequel of all time. And only Einstein could do that.
On that note, let me tell you about the greatest movie sequels of all time. In no particular order since there are only a few of them.
Awesomest Movie Sequels
- Kung Fu Panda II
- I saw this movie over the Memorial weekend with my kids. They had a blast. And I almost cried, emphasis on the word almost, because it was a very emotionally moving movie. I thought it was worlds better than the first one and the first one wasn’t that bad to begin with. Good job, Jack Black. I know he didn’t really do much. But still. Pretty. Pretty. Pretty good.
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
- One word: Yoda. Go ahead. Contradict me.
- The Godfather: Part II
- Curiously G2 beat G1 only to be followed by G3 the same way Episode 5 beat Episode 4 only to be followed by Episode 6!
- Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
- The first five minutes of the movie was already better than the entire Fellowship IMHO. And add to that the Battle of Helm’s Deep? Heavens!
- Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
- Kicking Sauron’s butt at Mount Doom. Pure good vs evil. Not as great as the General Theory of Relativity but still pretty… pretty… pretty good.
That’s about it for me. Oh I guess I left out Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde. How could I forget that!?
Okay, check out the following list of spices.
- True LOVE
- Heinous CRIME
- Mysterious DEATH
- Dysfunctional FAMILY
- Unspeakable SECRET
- Gut-wrenching BETRAYAL
- Out-of-this-world FRIENDSHIP
- Classic struggles in RICH vs POOR
- Mind-bogglingly complex REVENGE
- Falling in love with YOUR OWN SISTER
- Did I mention your sisters are all HOT CHICKS?
- Beautifully composed and masterfully performed MUSIC
- Last but not least, the world’s most fantastic TIME TRAVELING
Your life will not be dull if it contains just a handful of the above ingredients. And the 2010 Korean TV drama series Bad Boy (aka “나쁜 남자”) has all but one of the above elements. In other words, Bad Boy kicks butt! It’s quite possibly the finest K-drama I have ever had the pleasure of viewing. You can watch it free on hulu here.
With a show like this, who needs to time travel? 😀