Anybody can emulate great things. But only true geniuses can take something great and make it even greater! Take for example the Special Theory of Relativity. How special is that theory, you may ask? I’m talking about space time continuum, man! Time appears to slooooooooooow down when the starship approaches warp one, not to mention the shrinkage! The shrinkaaaaaaaaaaage? How can you top that!? Well? General Theory of Relativity, y’all, that’s how. Check it out. Gravity is just the curvature of a 4-dimensional space time manifold. That’s all. That’s not evolutionary. That’s not even revolutionary. That’s revolutionary on top of something that’s already revolutionary. Revoltionary squared? 🙂 That my friends is THE greatest sequel of all time. And only Einstein could do that.
On that note, let me tell you about the greatest movie sequels of all time. In no particular order since there are only a few of them.
Awesomest Movie Sequels
- Kung Fu Panda II
- I saw this movie over the Memorial weekend with my kids. They had a blast. And I almost cried, emphasis on the word almost, because it was a very emotionally moving movie. I thought it was worlds better than the first one and the first one wasn’t that bad to begin with. Good job, Jack Black. I know he didn’t really do much. But still. Pretty. Pretty. Pretty good.
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
- One word: Yoda. Go ahead. Contradict me.
- The Godfather: Part II
- Curiously G2 beat G1 only to be followed by G3 the same way Episode 5 beat Episode 4 only to be followed by Episode 6!
- Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
- The first five minutes of the movie was already better than the entire Fellowship IMHO. And add to that the Battle of Helm’s Deep? Heavens!
- Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
- Kicking Sauron’s butt at Mount Doom. Pure good vs evil. Not as great as the General Theory of Relativity but still pretty… pretty… pretty good.
That’s about it for me. Oh I guess I left out Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde. How could I forget that!?